Friday, January 2, 2004

Friday, 2 January, 2004

This series of devotions are focused around Soren Kierkegaard’s “Christian Discourses etc.” The biblical text to consider during these devotions is: Matthew 6:24-34.



To be rich I must possess something until the morrow, etc., must be secured for the morrow; but to be rich I must also be assured of the morrow. Take away riches, and then no longer can I be called rich; but take away the morrow, and then too, alas, I no longer can be called rich. For to be rich I must possess something, but to be rich I must also surely be in existence. And this the rich (person) does not know, he does not know whether he will be alive on the morrow, or he knows that he does not know it.



It was this passage that brought me back into reading Kierkegaard in November. Preparing for a sermon for Thanksgiving I remembered some seminary reading and this is what I found as I was scrolling through marks in an older book in my library. What we have a Christians is the understanding that we are here today. Today we can be available to one another…live with one another…deal with life around us and use our lives to be instruments of God’s Reign. It doesn’t matter if one is rich or poor. In fact, for both people life might be a bit richer in its content and purpose when we let ourselves be especially available to others in the day at hand. For the rich it may mean that I would not have to spend so much energy trying to secure what I have. I am therefore freer to ignore my riches and be more loving and gracious…more of a follower of Jesus!



Connection: How many times during this day are we tied so much to what we have and making sure we keep it that way, that we do not share our lives with one another in an unconditional manner?



Gracious Lord, we give you thanks for the opening of this day and the opportunity to reflect on your gracious Reign and the life we are handed as residents in this holy time handed to us all. Help us to see the fullness of life that is present before us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment