Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Tuesday, 23 March, 2004

We will be playing with some material from “Holy People” by Gordon Lathrop.



…Sunday is the day of assembly, the liturgical year a calendar for the work of the assembly. Daily prayer reflects and anticipates the meeting of the Sunday assembly… The basic building blocks of liturgical structure – biblical texts, preaching and sacraments, hymns, prayers, calendars, and creeds – are all essentially communal in nature. In themselves, they presume an assembly.



It is not easy to remember that each of us is part of an assembly…a community…a we…a broken bunch of folk who count on one thing alone, God’s love for us as we hear it told to us in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Even as I do “my own thing” within the devotions of a day or a week, I am reminding myself of the universality of God’s gracious Reign. That reminder…that wondering about what it all means for me and all creation…is part of the exercise that keeps me pointed toward that promise of life. I may wander within all my wondering, but the reminder is there…the vision is there…the assembly is there…and I praise God for that gathering no matter what size it may be or who it is that is part of the assembly for in that gathering the Spirit transforms and lifts us into a realm of unbelievable graciousness.



Connection: Stay connected!



Bind us together Lord. Bind our hearts together that your Will…will be the guiding light for this day that leads us into and through all that may greet us this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment