Saturday, May 7, 2005

13 May 2005

This week ends within the first chapter of 1 Corinthians.

Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in agreement and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same purpose. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there are quarrels among you, my brothers and sisters. What I mean is that each of you says, "I belong to Paul," or "I belong to Apollos," or I belong to Cephas," or "I belong to Christ." Has Christ been divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?... For Christ did not send me to baptize but to proclaim the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its power. (1 Cor. 1:10 -13, 17)

What is it about the different "camps" within a community that makes the word of grace different? Could it be that each side puts something a bit higher on the priority for life list? Could it be that fear somehow steers a person in another direction...and another person in yet another direction...and then another person in quite an opposite direction? Could it be that we are not content to let the Grace of God as it is know in Christ, Jesus, and throughout the scriptures? Could it be that we think we have something to lose if we do not have a side to represent...a side we can say is right when the other side is "off a bit"? We thank our God for a word so simple it is the power to dismantle the great wisdom of any of us. It is a word that does not settle for the power of what one side can say over and against the other side. It is a word that presses us beyond our wants and leads us into a very foolish position for life - gracious love and abundant peace.

Connection: I can probably find fault with others as well as you can. In fact, you can find fault with me and I can do the same with you. But in the midst of all this will we ever experience that peace that is promised to us - I doubt it. Only as we embody the graciousness of God's Reign will we begin to be surprised by its peace among us.

We move from side to side and yet you, Most Gracious Lord, side with all of us so that we will begin to see that the divisions between us have been made worthless by your love that is always reconciling and healing us and making us one in you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment