Thursday, May 18, 2006

19 May 2006

The week ends with a look at a familiar word within faith communities that is being used more and more: Spirituality. Again, the comments are from Joseph Sittler.

One reason (spirituality) is difficult to comprehend is that there are terms, as there are indeed, realities in which the terms point, which are incapable of specification - for which we can have no definition of sufficient inclusiveness that it leaves no remainder. Some things I can define very precisely, but there are words in our language - indeed in every language - that elude definition. The word imagination is not capable of definition; yet we all know the world and recognize its referent when it appears. And the word spirituality - the power, presence, dynamics of the spirit - is not a definable reality.

I must admit, I use the word Spirit quite a bit. I use it when I talk about the power that moves us or pulls us into God's future. I use it when I talk about faith and how it is the power of what is called the Holy Spirit that brings us to faith. I use it as I hear it used in scripture when it is said that the Spirit comes upon someone or a group and moves them into a new place or a new vision or a new way of living. At the same time, spirituality doesn't always find its way into my vocabulary. I think it has to do with some of the ways I hear it discussed. For me, it can be defined is such a narrow way at times that it appears as though spirituality is something one must achieve by going through a certain pattern or exercise or discipline. I must say that I really do understand that many people have a great sense of personal spirituality when they follow such practices. Sometimes it takes a discipline to move us into the fullness of life that we so often miss when we run through the "things of the day" that must get done. Then again, I find that in the midst of the "things of the day" even as I am moving through them, here and there, I am able to experience something I cannot quite describe...but spirituality seems to be one way to put a word to the experience and the reflection that takes place. Too often, I find that it is important to realize that when we reference words like spirituality, we are bringing quite a bit of variety of practice and experience onto the table. Maybe spirituality is, in part, being open to listen to whatever helps people envision the Reign of God...or our meaning in the whole realm of existence itself. Quite broad...eh!?!

Connection: Now and then, it would do us all well to look at the common with new eyes...or do something out of our pattern...or simply breathe with a bit of intentionality. That may be what spirituality comes to mean for us...at least for now.

Spirit of Life, as you whip around us and lift us up and carry us away into new ways of viewing life, remind us of the power that comes within a simple pause or reflection or even adding a walk down the street to allow ourselves a space and time to be refreshed by your creative wind. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment