Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday 21 July 2008

Thomas Merton with more on war and fear.

...we tend unconsciously to ease ourselves still more of the burden of guilt that is in us, by passing it on to somebody else. When I have done wrong, and have excused myself by attributing the wrong to "another" who is unaccountably "in me," my conscience is not yet satisfied. There is still too much left to be explained. The "other in myself" is too close to home. The temptation is, then, to account for my fault by seeing an equivalent amount of evil in someone else. Hence I minimize my own sins and compensate for doing so by exaggerating the faults of others.

Merton's words hit deeply and intend to take each of us on an inward journey. This is not easy nor will it be one of pleasure. It is always difficult to face the darkness within us before we project it out onto others. When we are able to enter this inward journey and face what must be faced, it seems as though there will be less of a chance of us striking out against the "other." I know that it is not easy to walk along this inward path. The temptation is too great to simply pick up a stone and throw it. When that happens, no one can be healed and made whole...we all come up short and the possibility of war increases - along with its brutality.

Connection: We are invited to be persistently reflective as we are engaging the events and people within this day. That means keeping our eyes on two worlds and bringing them together in a way that maintains peace. Who helps you do that?

Come, Lord of All Healing. Come and walk with us. Come and help us face our world and our selves with the truthfulness that is essential to your gracious Reign. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment