Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday 25 September 2009

More on "all" - sound funny to write.

Jesus Christ - the seeking shepherd, the waiting father, the searching woman, the persistent presence until the end of the age - is the majestic, all-powerful, sweeping generalization. He is the "Yes!" of God pronounced upon the whole broken world. Yet there is also our frail, responsive, small, but essential "yes." God's grand decision for us precedes our decisions for God. We can say "yes" only because God has said "Yes!" to us in Christ.

Again I love to spot new ways of having old and powerful images brought to me. "Jesus Christ - is the majestic, all-powerful, sweeping generalization." What an image! The Sweeping Generalization! Yes for all no matter who it may be. Yes when no one or no power is willing to say yes. Yes that is thrown out for any and all to grasp. I like to hear a word of love toss out to me as an individual...and it is. But it is tossed to me as it is tossed to those around me and far off...those like me and those who would have nothing to do with me. The Sweeping Generalization. I imagine some would not like that language at all. We don't talk about salvation in quite such terms as this. Our words have more religious history to them. Therefore, it is an image that blows open the world and hands us each a gift of life that is really the same old gift that God has been handing out through all time.

Connection: I often like to think of the creation story and let myself be at the receiving end of God's "Yes!" It is also a good way to look over at my neighbor. When God says "Yes!" it is a reality that is meant to be heard in our time and through all time.

Lord of Creation, you take us up into your creative hands and whisper a word of sheer delight. It is a word that inspires our vision, fills our hearts with new life, and but a beat into our movements. It is the beat of your Reign. Continue to grant us the ears to hear that "Yes!" and be ruled by it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment