Sunday, January 1, 2017

Gratitude and Humility - One way to walk through 2017

Gratitude and humility.

Kevin Schroeder used these two words as he talked about the transformation that was taking place in his life. Briefly, before I go on, Kevin was the bare-chested - very heavy - quite obese guy - who was front and center as one of the biggest fans dancing at Columbus Blue Jackets games. I read the article and was amazed at how his life was being changed - on all fronts. There are many ways to measure how a person moves through the long and trying process of weight loss and he was able to verbalize the various changes. Yet, as I was reading the article, I pulled out my iPhone to make a short message to self - gratitude and humility. In the middle of all the changes he said he feels gratitude. He then said that everything good comes from gratitude and humility - it is a journey that just keeps getting better. What an amazing insight while on a journey that could so easily be caught up in only the issue of weight.

These are good words to carry into 2017.

Gratitude does not depend on that which I am able to do. Gratitude seems to be how we see the world around us. Most often I hear people talk about someone in their lives for whom they are grateful. It may be that someone did something or said something. I have heard people express gratitude for simple acts of kindness. I have heard people express gratitude to someone for picking up a piece of rubbish on the sidewalk. I have seen people nod or smile in a silent gesture of gratitude to a stranger's action. When we are grateful for the presence of others, we are looking beyond ourselves and able to see the worth in those around us. It is then so important to let that gratitude be known. Many people cannot do that. Some never even think to express gratitude to others.

I know that I can be so turned-in-on-myself that gratitude is not shared with others. I just don't take the time or energy away from my own life to see the beauty and wonder in the acts of others. Maybe I cannot feel or share gratitude when my life is self-absorbed. Maybe when the world or the day or the moment is so devoured by my needs and greeds, I simply write off others - I don't see the wonder and beauty around me. How can I express gratitude when I am unable or unwilling to open my heart to the way others make the world a better place - somehow.

Kevin's use of humility is key to this ability to experience gratitude - maybe that is why I was drawn to the connection he made. To be humble, a person needs to see the way we are all connected and how we are on a journey together. It is so important to note, though, that there is no self-negation in humility. I find that humility is quite the opposite. Humility comes within a person's understanding that s/he is a person of value - power - worth - substance. From that insight - that vision, we are free to see others in the same light. I know that when I am unable to see the worth in me, I am quite unlikely to see the worth in you. In fact, you may look quite like a threat to me. But when I am confident in the fact - yes, the fact - that I am beloved - that I have worth, I am more likely to bow and bend and serve - you.

Humility nurtures a vulnerability in which I am able to see how we will be much better off as we share ourselves with one another. It is quite like that part of Philippians that is called the Christ hymn. It notes that though (Jesus) was in the form of God - he did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited - but emptied himself - humbled himself. Wow, that is a contrary notion to how the world seems to run. Yet, as humility nurtures vulnerability, we become available to others - all others - and, I would suggest, we learn a bit about gratitude for the way we are on a journey with a whole world of people who just may be making the day better than expected.

I know 2017 is a year that many expect will be unbearable. Yet, it cannot control us. We can be a part of a journey in which we - with even a small measure of humility - may find many reasons to act out of gratitude. That just may change how we take part in how 2017 is embodied among us.
TRRR

No comments:

Post a Comment