Monday, April 5, 2004

Monday, 5 April, 2004

We continue with pieces from “Holy People” by Gordon Lathrop.



…the Bible is none other that ta biblia, “the books,” collected together under one cover…as the list of books accepted for public reading in the church. When I take a Bible into my hands, even when I am alone, I take up the whole community of voices that addresses me there as well as all the people with whom I read these books in a continuing community of interpretation. The very fact of the books being gathered together as one book is a liturgical fact. The Bible is a set of books written by, collected by, and intended for assemblies.



Even within our “private” reading of the scripture we come with the voices of the assembly of saints. It is as we remember the assembly that we help to bring to mind the many ways a text is interpreted. When the Bible is read among us we are called to respond to it…that is, offer what we hear in its reading. The beauty of the assembly is that it is the vehicle of the power of the Holy Spirit. Through the printed Word we hear other bring a word and then we are caught up in a dialogue of faithful listening that may not be what I myself hears. “The books” do pull me into conversation with the written text but there is so much more power and meaning when I am also pulled into conversation with the others who pick up the book and see life in new ways.



Connection: In our “personal & individual” faith kind of society, it would do us well to intentionally think about the corporate word that is being offered when scripture is read…just think about the passion story read this last Sunday.



By your Word, O Lord, you call us and lead us. You pull us up so that each one of us may be drawn into a community of faith in which we continue to hear your word in many and various ways. Keep our hearts and our lives open to your word of grace and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment