Sunday, September 25, 2005

27 September 2005

Again we march on through the rite of "Welcome for Inquirers."

The next to the last mark: Receive the cross on your hands, that God's mercy may be known in your work.

As we drove out of the parking lot in the short north today I told my wife that I have had a real problem with the homeless lately. The problem isn't with them being so visible, it is with the fact that we have so many homeless people and we simply cannot seem to do anything of substance to make sure that they are cared for as much as we would care for those who are able to "get care." So, having walked by the guy who usually is at this parking lot acting like he owns it and will guard your car - even though he has no authority to do so - we drove by him and I handed Karen two dollars to give to him. After saying no to him just minutes before, I think he was a bit surprised...but so was I. I don't usually do that. Then again, isn't that what we are insisting upon as we mark one another with this cross? Aren't we asking our God to make our hands go ahead and beat our heads into action. Go for it...give it up...don't make excuses. I make enough excuses and I know that sometimes I simply have to say "No, I can't help." And yet, sometimes my hands are quicker than my mind...like a good card shark...a good magician...a....follower of Jesus...Giving up what is even the last or the least of what we have.

Connection: So...how will your hands be instruments of mercy today. Remember, you may only be able to see this after the fact. Sometimes our hands act before we are able to stop them. Then later, we may seemed annoyed by what we have done...but...down deep, we have lost nothing at all. In fact, in the giving without question we...we...can simply rejoice in what God plants in our hearts so that our hands are moved to act.

Take our lives, O God, and be the one who touches us so that we go not in the way we want but in the way you call us to go. We know that that can be so hard but we also know that you are the God who does not go back on your Word to be with us and to make us new. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment