Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday 16 August 2007

Today we will simply note a Old Testament text that Walter Brueggemann says is a familiar presentation of the sub-version that is contradicted by dominant views, but for all of that no less true:
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths for his name sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil;
for you are with me; your rod and your staff - they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.

'Even though.' Yes, even though the conditions of our world is a dark valley...even though that brings with it all the things that could take place in such a reality - we fear no evil. That is, we will look around and find in the middle of that valley the many signs of the presence of the LORD who bring life that may seem unimaginable...and yet....it is quite within our imagination. Enemies will not be removed from our lives...they will be there and they well not let up their vigil. And yet...again, we will be given what we need - our daily bread will be provided and it will be enough. No, we will have plenty. We will be blessed with a future in the middle of all the dominant stories that attempt to rob us of the life we have been promised. We have a place and we have a life that is guarded and thriving and full even though others try to claim us and rob us and defeat us. Then, from that place we have been given, we become for others a part of its life...its goodness...its mercy.

Connection: Look for the light in the valley - it is there. Be ready to be fed and cared for when it is appearing that things will only be taken from you.

We are blessed by you, O God. We are given life that even as the powers around us attempt to take it from us or rule over us. We give you thanks for all the days of our lives for you are present with us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment