Thursday, November 15, 2007

Monday 19 November 2007

Again, the voice of the Spirit that becomes the voice we are able to hear as a word for us and to us from our God. Brian Blount in "The Last Word on Biblical Authority."


The role of the spirit is a constant. Laced into the fabric of human beings is that part of us that reaches beyond the boundaries of our flesh and blood and touches the essential voice of God's own Holy Spirit. Did you ever hear someone say a room is wired for sound? We're wired for God, wired by God with a human spirit that despite its limitations can be touched by God's Holy Spirit. In every time, in every place, in every moment of history, the spirit plays this interlocutory role. It is how we "hear" God and through this hearing, when we are fortunate, hear each other. The spirit is a constant.


There are those among us who seem to be quite able to hear this voice of God's own Holy Spirit. It could be that we all hear it but only some hear it and in the hearing, they are changed or moved or transformed to the point of taking on the day in a new way. I love those moments when I can hear someone bring the voice of God's own Holy Spirit alive to me when I'm so consumed by the world around me that I'm not able to hear that voice myself. It may be that when this voice of God's own Holy Spirit is hear by someone, we have the benefit of seeing that this word is not merely spoken...it becomes a living language so that what may sound vague and general becomes completely alive and stirring and real. The spirit moves within people's live so that we each are able to hear in one way or another. I often need to have that word be as real as the actions of someone near me. Otherwise, I miss the power and the blessing of God's Holy Spirit of life. When I can see that word and touch it or be touched by it, my hearing seems to improve.


Connection: What helps you hear that voice of God's own Holy Spirit? We all need a little help to hear that voice in a fresh way every day.


Spirit alive among us, come by here again so that we can hear of the way of life that will bring us hope and gladness and challenge. Do not let us shut down and refuse to listen. Surprise us with a voice that comes close to us and helps us hear your word of life...again. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment