Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday 17 April 2009

The week draws to an end with more on Courage by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Courage and cowardice are antithetical. Courage is an inner resolution to go forward in spite of obstacles and frightening situations; cowardice is a submissive surrender to circumstance. Courage breeds creative self-affirmation; cowardice produces destructive self-abnegation. Courage faces fear and thereby masters it; cowardice represses fear and is thereby mastered by it. Courageous men never lose the zest for living even though their life situation is zestless; cowardly men, overwhelmed by the uncertainties of life, lose the will to live. We must constantly build dykes of courage to hold back the flood of fear.

Are we shaped by fear or do are we responsible for the shape of our lives in the presence of fear? Can a cowardly person becomes courageous? Can a courageous person become cowardly? Are these mere choices or are we talking about character traits that will activated no matter what the situation is? I have always introduced myself as quite a coward - a simple bit of self-reflection as I look deep within myself at what often motivates me. When I say that I am often met with a sense of surprise. That is not how others would see me. In fact some disagree strongly. That is where the "in spite of" has come to mean so much to me. In spite of the fact that I am afraid and could easily shut up and stay that way, I cannot because I know whose I am. For me - at times - that works. In this season of Easter we are reminded that the powers that attempt to rule us and push us around and shape us into their ways of living in the world are not able to silence the life that was put to death. The life that was put to death was one of compassion, forgiveness, peace, justice, mercy and an utter commitment to the welfare of all. And we are told on Easter with a mighty "Yes!" that this is the life of God's beloved...all of us. That is why we are called followers of Jesus...we actually follow and live that life "in spite of" the dominant powers that can create moods of fear and anxiety. I still think it takes more than one person to be courageous. That "more than one person" is the Holy Spirit that shapes communities of Jesus' followers.

Connection: Sometimes we must act for the welfare of others in spite of the fact that we may not receive anything back in reward. In fact, we may only receive back bitterness.

Lord of New Life, shape us again this day. Within the power of your Spirit, guide us into your domain of peace and all hopefulness so that we may face all that will come our way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment