Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday 1 May 2009

Yesterday King wrote about positive religion in the face of fears. Today he takes us to the other side.



Irreligion, on the other hand, would have us believe that we are orphans cast into the terrifying immensities of space in a universe that is without purpose or intelligence. Such a view drains courage and exhausts the energies of men. In his "Confession" Tolstoi wrote concerning the aloneness and emptiness he felt before his conversion:

"There was a period of my life when everything seemed to be crumbling, the very foundations of my convictions were beginning to give way, and I felt myself going to pieces. There was no sustaining influence in my life and there was no God there, and so every night before I went to sleep, I made sure that there was no rope in my room lest I be tempted during the night to hand myself from the rafters of my room; and I stopped going out shooting lest I be tempted to put a quick end to my life and to my misery.

Like so many people, Tolstoi at that stage of his life lacked the sustaining influence which comes from the conviction that this universe is guided by a benign Intelligence whose infinite love embraces all mankind.


It is important to note that Tolstoi doesn't say this about religion. He says this about this infinite love that embraces everyone. It is a love that is beyond us and not limited to our expressions. It is a love that -as I like to repeat again and again- will not let us go. That ongoing and never ending love of God is for us the power to face all that the day will offer us even when it all things of the day threaten to devour us. There is no alone when we trust that our God abides with us. We actually begin to see that our God experiences all the things that we face - but our God never ceases to let God's rule of unbounded love be subverted by any power.

Connection: It is very easy to see ourselves as the Lord of the Day - controlling all things and thus having to create all things within our limited powers. There is no rest there. There is no freedom to fail. Today is in the hands of our God who continues to shape us to meet and walk through all things with eyes that are not limited by how we see ourselves.

Lord of Love, shape us again this day so we will not fall for the illusions of power that attempt to fool us and often lead us into the realms of hopelessness. Grant us your peace. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment