Sunday, April 17, 2016

To whom do we bow

Several years ago I created a new 'may' rubric in worship. That simply means I suggested that at a specific part of the Sunday liturgy the Assisting Minister walking alongside me in the procession at the beginning of worship 'may' join me in an liturgical action. For years, we would start the procession during the opening hymn. As the cross was carried by us, I always bowed my head. For me this was an act of resistance and commitment. This simple action reminded me each week that there is one power - one Lord - one life - one way - that I intend to follow into my daily life. It would mean a life of resistance to the powers of the world and commitment to walk in the way of the Christ.

For many people who take leadership parts in the liturgy and process forward at the beginning of worship it is quite common (even expected) to stop before entering into the chancel and bow to the table (or as some would call it - the altar). It has always been a sign of reverence. I have heard all sorts of reasons for that bow. In conversation with our seminary Intern, I suggested that if we are going to bow before we enter into the chancel, I will now be turning and I will bow to the people - the body of Christ. I will 'reverence' the living presence of the Christ as manifest in the character of the gathered body. He was invited to join me.

Since the Assisting Minister and I walked side by side as the last people in the procession and most folks are busy singing the hymn or finding a seat -  this new rubric often went unnoticed. Each week I would remind the Assisting Minister of what I was going to do and invited her/him to join me. It was their choice. It can be an awkward move but week after week we turned and bowed to the living presence of the Christ.

This simple 'may' rubric has made me think more seriously about bowing every day. If the Christ is before me and around me and in the midst of the community at hand, then it is good for me to pause and bow. Maybe that is only a movement in my head. Then again, it is in that moment - that pause - that I give myself the opportunity to look with new eyes on the people around me. It has become somewhat of a discipline as if I keep telling myself, "Stop - turn around - look - see - and wonder a bit about how in the presence of this other person I will entertain the Messiah." Oh, I am far from doing that well or with much consistency from day to day. It is so much easier to leave the bowing within the worship space - and with that - leave the Christ there too. With a simple bow
TRRR




No comments:

Post a Comment