Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Pursuit of Happiness - Hmmm

The pursuit of happiness is an odd concept. Usually it is in the context of 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness'- all of which are to be rights we have as citizens of this country. I simply think that as we tell people they have the right to go about their pursuit of happiness we are headed for trouble. My most recent Uber passenger brought this to mind this morning. When I invited him to take part in my YacketyYak Poll on this upcoming presidential election he made a number of comments. All of his comments had to do with what would bring him stuff - good stuff - financial stuff. He does not vote. He said they are all puppets. He then said he voted for Obama the first time because in the middle of a financial crisis he said we needed an 'out of the box' thinker who was able to energize the country. He said it worked - especially for him.

The whole notion of a country that is dedicated to taking care of the least among us and attempting to bring everyone up into a life that will encourage and sustain them was like a foreign language he could not utter. The government was in place to help those who have - have more - prosper. I'm sure he would even have said it would be good for the poor to prosper also. The feel of the conversation (actually he spoke continually after I asked the polling question) was one in which he was looking out for his own interests. The more he could make - the sooner he would not have to work. He then went on to say we needed someone in the White House who is willing to kill. Right away he said that is why Bernie will never be elected - even though he likes him. Are you willing to kill in order to have a bit more happiness!?

So, the 'pursuit of happiness' is like a child in a candy store. Better yet, it is like me in a candy store. I become hypnotized and almost obsessed with the kind of candy I will take out the door with me. It is all about me - what will make me happy. Oh, I may consider how much candy I will share or the kind if candy I will be willing to share, but it is really all about me - my happiness. But as as a 63 year old person I know that all that delicious happiness could be the death of me - or at least a good bit of disease that could make my life a living hell.

The 'pursuit of happiness' from the perspective of a follower of Jesus is life that follows another way. So when I hear some Christians say that our country was founded on Christian values, this is one 'right' I always go to in order to demonstrate that we - the followers of Jesus - are a people invited to live contrary to such a 'right' as this. We are invited - to serve - to seek the well-being of others - to be a word and presence of joy, hopefulness, compassion, justice and peace. The individual serves the well-being of the whole. For when I only pursue happiness for me or my own kind or my family even my nation - someone else will be left out - abandoned - sacrificed - division will reign and demons are manufactured to suit our cause.

So if we see ourselves set on pursuing happiness, we must always ask at what cost. Who will be left out? How will we go about securing our notion of happiness and what will be the method by which we become secure? I might even ask: can happiness ever be secured? Or is such a pursuit an endless spiral leading to warfare, blame, hatred, bigotry, and fear that creates a happiness that is - an illusion.
TRRR

1 comment:

  1. I think it is important to strive for personal happiness equally; as making other people happy equally; as making the environment "happy". We should want to strive for happiness for all people, places and things. We may not accomplish the goal but it is in the trying that is important. Good Intentions with good actions is what God wants for all of us. Sometimes we fail and failure is a great learning tool for improvement if we strive for insight. Failure and Success are equally great learning opportunities for personal growth, societal growth and making the world a better place for all. We can't be afraid to fail by including all people and growing our love for all. Insight and intentions can create happiness for all who desire personal joy.

    ReplyDelete