Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Thursday, 13 June, 2002

The lead piece is from "Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris. In this book she takes many of the words and images of the faith and attempts to put some reality and life to them.



FEAR

I sense much fear of fear itself in the contemporary landscape.

Having lost the ancient sense of fear as a healthy dose of reverence and wonder, we are left with only the negative connotations of the word...instead of opening us up, allowing us to explore our capacity for devotion in the presence of something larger and wiser than ourselves, fear is seen as something that shrinks us, harms us, and renders us incapable of acting on our own behalf...

The more I am aware of God's presence in my life, and in the world, the more intimate this relationship becomes, the more I am in awe. And the more I stand in holy fear, the smaller I seem in the face of God's vastness, God's might, God's being.




To be aware of my smallness...reminds me of my worth and potential and the amazing power of God. That may seem odd. To fear what may happen to me can paralyze me. Most often, I am paralyzed because I am puffed up with myself and therefore I fear what may happen if life doesn't go my way. When I can remember the awesome power of God and how that power is eternally for me and on my side, I am free to be vulnerable and in that vulnerability...fear-less. Fearlessness may simply be that reverence and wonder that is available to us as we encounter the Creator God on our side...on our side - WOW! Fear of the Lord...the beginning of wisdom...of course...the beginning of life in perspective...life as a gift to be shared and not withdrawn.



Connection: How will this Lord of Life lead you today? How will you be empowered by our God to let go of all the stuff onto which you want to hold so dearly? Sometimes, by taking a look at the smallest piece of life we can begin to see the awesome presence of our God standing alongside of us.



Almighty God, by your power you shape all things and bring life to all that is. We give you thanks and praise you that in every time and place you call us by name and bless us and promise to abide with us that we...we may be your children, full of life and willing to take the risk to trust how you will lead us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment