Monday, June 17, 2002

Tuesday, 18 June, 2002

The lead piece is from "Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris. In this book she takes many of the words and images of the faith and attempts to put some reality and life to them.



FAITH (We make take several days on this one)

After mentioning the "strong-arm tactics of evangelism" that fail to take into account biblical ambiguity, Norris writes: I appreciate much more the wisdom of novelist Doris Betts's assertion that faith is "not synonymous with certainty...(but) is the decision to keep your eyes open. It corresponds with what a fourth-century monk, Abba Bessarion, said about the attentiveness required in a life of faith: "The monk should be all eye." My new understanding of faith as like energy itself - fluid, always in motion but never constant... Faith is a constant, always there, but surging and ebbing, sometimes strongly evident and at other times barely discernible on my spiritual landscape.




She makes it sound like a journey. I like that. It means changes will come and shapes will move about and I will be responsible for keeping my eyes open so that I might be ready for the next way God will bring things together in my life. Part of that surging and ebbing has to do with how often I am attempting to seclude myself or keep to one way of seeing the world around me. The fluidity of faith offers a wider understanding of the faithful world in which we are called to live. It is so refreshing when I hear about bouts of faithlessness from someone who seems to be a pillar of faith. It is not that it is good to see someone having difficulties. Rather, it is a knock on the door of my heart saying, "You see...there is room in the household of God for many kind of folk beyond my imagination...even me!"



Connection: It is important for us to be willing to tell one another about the ebbing and surging of our faith. Those with whom we share such tales become for us the presence of the Holy Spirit and often these moments serve everyone who is around the table.



Lord of all faithfulness, as you promise to abide with us, we pray that we will be aware of the many ways you touch us and bring us together in the name of your Beloved, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment