Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Tuesday, 30 July, 2002

The lead piece is from "Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris. In this book she takes many of the words and images of the faith and attempts to put some reality and life to them.



EVANGELISM

Once I could recognize evangelism not as a matter of talking about the faith but living it, I could happily connect it with Ezra Pound's great admonishment to poets: "do not describe, present," which in writing workshops is often translated as "show, don't tell."... The best evangelism - the show, don't tell kind - presumes an understanding of relationship that precludes forcing your faith, and the language of that faith, on another person.




I'm particularly aware of Norris' comments as we continue along with our Wednesday night study of Mark's Gospel. Mark gives us a Jesus who acts...he heals...he feeds...he acts contrary to the "rule keepers"...he pushes evil spirits out the door. Yes, there is teaching, but the action brings reaction...the action brings questions...the action lays out some issues in a very flesh and blood kind of way. Words and actions give us a complete witness. I remember hearing about how important body language and inflection was to the delivery of a message. We do not communicate by words alone. The life that carries the words covers most of the communication. I can say "I love you" but it is best for you to see me say "I love you." On the other hand, I can act as though my life is saying, "I love you" but I know that it is vital to hear those words with the actions.



Connection: How would God's love find its way through you today? What would be a way to present that love...offer that love, in a way that would take the least amount of translation? I think we often throw out a bunch of religious language and images before we offer our lives as the translation tool for the vision of the reign of God.



Praise to you this day, O God of Us All. Empower us to be the word of love and grace and healing and forgiveness and reconciliation that is the Good News of your blessed Reign. For within such a life, your word of life is given to others and becomes our foundation for life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment