Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Thursday, 13 February, 2003

We continue with selections from The Justification Reader by Thomas C. Oden.



So intimately tied are the terms "grace" and "Spirit" that they flow together as if virtually interchangeable (Acts 6:5,8). God's Spirit is called "the Spirit of Grace (Hebrews 10:29) since it is through the Spirit that the Father confers the grace of the Son upon the celebrating community. From the fullness of this saving event we continue to receive grace upon grace in a persevering series of divine gifts to humanity (John 1:16,17).



I always return to that power that makes it all happen. That is, I find that God provides all that is necessary to trust what God is announcing to us. For me the conversation goes back to Luther's comment on the third article of the Apostles' Creed ( on the Spirit). "I believe that by my own reason or strength I cannot believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to him. But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with his Gifts, and sanctified and preserved me in true faith..." The Grace of God is as one with the Spirit that brings that nurtures the promise of our God within our lives as we have seen it come to life in the stories of Jesus. I can easily fall for other stories...in fact I often do. But then...the Holy Spirit keeps reminding me (and you) of God's grace. Within that reminder...everyday...every moment, the Good News of God's gracious reign does indeed break in and lead...guide...and bring new ways of seeing and hearing all things.



Connection: Over and over again, there is the promise that within this day - no matter how it is going for us - the Spirit of God will never stop trying to "woo" us to trust what God has done - is doing - and will do forever...and ever.



Precious Lord, you are the one who takes and makes this day your own. Strengthen us so that we may lean on your promises and the movement of your Spirit to bring us along the gracious journey that will unfold before us. Praise be to you as you lift us and empower us even before we notice that you have been active within this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment