Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday 9 May 2009

Here is what I would consider a wonderful look at the priesthood of all believers without using that language. What a gift of vision by Merton.

The requirements of a work to be done can be understood as the will of God. If I am supposed to hoe a garden or make a table, then I will be obeying God if I am true to the task I am performing. To do the work carefully and well, with love and respect for the nature of my task and with due attention to its purpose, is to unite myself to God's will in my work. In this way I become God's instrument. God works through me. When I act as God's instrument my labor cannot become an obstacle to contemplation, even though it may temporarily so occupy my mind that I cannot engage in it while I am actually doing my job. Yet my work itself will purify and pacify my mind and dispose me for contemplation.

What is the will of God? That we are faithful to our God. So in all things I am called to live within the domain of God's will. There will be no work...no daily activity...no relationship that falls outside of "God's will." Therefore, if I'm hearing Merton correctly, the life of contemplation is at hand no matter where we are or what we are doing. If that is the case, then those who are wondering about how they can be more "spiritual" or grow in their "spirituality" need only live boldly within God's promise of new life in the middle of all that is ordinary from day to day. For within this context, we become truly contemplative...we begin to honor and hold dear and respect and see the connection between all things no matter where we are or with whom we are spending our time. We could say that there is no excuse as to why we cannot enter into the realm of contemplation and enjoy the fullness of God's Spirit. Unless of course, we have turned contemplation into an exercise that is not a part of life itself. Then, I might want to ask, what is it that we are contemplating.

Connection: Be present and alert and ready to enter the journey of this day and to see God' will breaking into our lives and shaping us.

Spirit of God, you do not wait for the appropriate time to grasp us and make us new. For even now the day is beginning to provide us with life we may not have considered and life we will find to be quite amazing. Encourage our engagement in all the life that will be presented to us today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment