Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wednesday 1 October 2008

We continue looking at the resurrection as the establishment of the kingdom of peace and forgiveness from Stanley Hauerwas.

As members of such a kingdom, (read Isaiah11:6-9) moreover, we are pledged to extend God's peace through the care and protection of his creation. We do not resist one who is evil, not because life is inherently sacred, but simply because it is God's. As (John Howard)Yoder reminds us, "the idea that human life is intrinsically sacred is not a specifically Christian thought. But the gospel itself, the message that Christ died for His enemies, is our reason for being ultimately responsible for the neighbor's - and especially the enemy's - life. We can only say this [to another] if we say to ourselves that we cannot dispose of him according to our own will."

The life of another person is God's. That is so easy for me to forget. When seen in that light, there must be another way to deal with that person as we are both in the same predicament - God's own children. This is easier to write than it is to live. Under this kind of vision, we must given much more thought to going to war or fighting among us. Doesn't that just drive you nuts to hear that!?!? It take judgment out of my hands...it takes the desire to seek retribution out of my hands. In other words, this Reign of God tears me away from my self-centered life and makes me look out for the welfare of all...even my enemies. I think that is so difficult. But then again, I know some of you have been the voice that has helped me "back off" and look again at what I am saying or doing. There is this way of peace that is a way we can walk together for the sake of the life of all God's beloved.

Connection: Hold fast to this promise that we are God's children together and let's see how it changes the face of the day we are entering.

Lord of Life, you hold us all within your grasp and invite us to see each other as you see us. When we long for the many ways of warfare among us, keep your Spirit tugging at our lives so we will look up to the way of our Lord, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment