Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wednesday 2 December 2009

I find this piece on competition to be a good reminder - Michael Battle on Ubuntu.

Our planet cannot survive if we define our identity only through competition. If I know myself as strong only because someone else is weak, if I know myself as a black person only because someone else is white, then my identity depends on a perpetual competition that only leaves losers. If I know myself as a man by dominating women, if I know myself as a Christian only because someone else is going to hell, then both my masculinity and my Christianity are devoid of content.

I'm embarrassed to say this piece is like holding up a mirror and taking a look at that which I do not want to see - but it is as real as can be. I don't consider myself a competitive person....but then - I know when my heart races - I know when I am sitting at the edge of my chair - I know what it feels like to be in a tight game (watching or playing) or even a tight election. This side and that side always seem to exist in my world. It is one of the battles that must be resolved. The battle may only be resolved with I let go of the need for a battle in the first place. I is goo to let go. It is good to stand in a vulnerable position in order to receive a new view of the other person. Otherwise, I will view other from behind my walls and armaments. In the end...I lose. We all do. That's ugly.

Connection: So, in the meantime, who will we be with others...and...how will we be with others? It may shape the whole day as we face these two questions.

Lord, as we look at the image in which we have been created, it is the fullness of your love. That fullness is expressed through all of us. We are exposed to that fullness as we are exposed to those around us and those who walk with us through all that will come our way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment