Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Redeemer Devotions

Adventures... in Hope - Redeemer Devotions 

We are encouraged to keep in mind this God who claims us. But how?!

 

Monday

I know people who can remember the lyrics to songs - long quotes from books - scenes from movies - all the actors and actresses in movies and television shows. I think that is wild. I'm lucky to remember what I have to do today or how I did the same thing last month or last week. And yet, we are a people who are called to remember. That is what holds us together as a people who say we are faithful to our faithful God. We remember what God as done for us and what God promises to be for us as the day moves along. I'm thankful that in this adventure of remembering - for someone who forgets so easily - we say we count on the Holy Spirit to lead the way and be the power that keeps us on the way.  I count on a very small amount of stuff to pull me through the promises of God. Thank God the load is light and never can be diminished.

 

 I think that God makes the stories of God's faithfulness stick. We may brush them off here and there, but the stories - the love - never stops sticking to us. It is quite like those nasty burrs that have barbs like Velcro. They never let you go and it is a crazy mess to try and undo them from clothing. There have been times when I was sure that the burr didn't stick to me - only to realize that is caught on a piece of clothing I did not see and by the time I notice it, the burr has continued to transfer itself onto all my other clothing. I count on the stories of God's faithfulness to stick to me even when my life is focused elsewhere. In that way, my memory is not the vital part of the new life that is meant to become my own. Rather, as I long to go one way, I find myself exposed to that love that - like a burr - continues to hang onto me. I need that kind of love to hang on to me for I surely find many reasons to let go of it.

 

O God of love and new life, your hold on us is beyond our comprehension and that is good. It pushes and pulls us and nudges us into life we would never consider could be ours. And yet, we follow. Continue to be present. Amen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment