Sunday, June 26, 2016

Giving Into Violence - the easy road

Giving into violence: I hate it when I am sucked into its power and I am a part of its witness. Yes, it may happen within words - just words. Yes, it may even stay back - simply an internal flare up - that fuels nothing more than my spinning mind that no one see or hears. It is so easy to be swept up within  the currents of violence that do nothing but keep the world as it is - divided and filled with a fire to keep all things at war.

Giving into violence: It often means I have been sucked into a lie about the other side - or even a half truth that often produces more violence than a full-blown lie that is easily spotted and disregarded. I find that it takes quite a bit of emotional, mental, spiritual, even physical energy to avoid that sucking power. It is so easy to think righteous thoughts that I allow to paint my side as that which defines the goodness of all things. And yet, it is right in the act of that painting that I become a part of the lies that destroy - belittle - demean - devastate - blame - and suck life from everyone.

Giving into violence: Leaves me standing outside the life of the gracious Reign of God unable to witness to what Gil Bailie calls the complete vivaciousness of the God who knows not death. Violence  denies me life. God promises life. Violence against others is not life - it is always death. When I am walking in the ways of death (a walk that is oh so well known), it is as though I am choosing to turn away from hopefulness and joy and peace thinking that I can have something better. Ha!

Giving into violence: Is like not breathing. It is like holding my breath right before I try to push something over. And yet, things really move more easily when we breathe - that burst of wind - that release of energy - that belly grunting sound that cannot be hidden. The world moves when we breathe. When we hold our breath we tend not to engage others - we have no ability to talk - we are consumed with what is in us - we deny ourselves the opportunity to take part in the miracle of dialogue. When I used to lift weights, I was always told not to hold in my breath when I was pushing the weights off my chest. A full body involvement was needed to move the weights without hurting me. I suppose the same thing happens with birthing. I remember being in a birthing class and the instructor was telling the women not to close their eyes for there was a good chance they would push too early and too hard. She did say keep your eyes open and breathe - really breathe. Life will come forth in every day. When we breathe our way in and out of it, we give ourselves time to experience new life no matter how good or bad it might seem. That helps to bring about peace.

Giving into violence: Is the easy way out. Just listen to the name-calling going on in the political realm around us. Verbal violence that has no intention of creating a healing and whole reality. It is all about how we can put ourselves into the winner's circle and push others into the losing column. We give up the gift of conversation that can - at times - be long and hard. Instead we pull out the weapons of blame that seem to be able to stop everything - yet, only makes for more of the same. It happens in politics - in sports - in our homes - in our congregations - in our neighborhoods. I was just talking to someone about how some people who do not like an action within a congregation - just leave. So when there is an opportunity for everyone to grow - even beyond our comfort zones - we take the easy way out - we leave. That is the pathway of violence - leaving. Next, we call each other names - declare we will never be like them - go on our own righteous way. Ah, there we go -giving into violence again.
TRRR

No comments:

Post a Comment