Wednesday, August 21, 2002

Thursday, 22 August, 2002

The lead piece is from "Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris. In this book she takes many of the words and images of the faith and attempts to put some reality and life to them.



HEAVEN

A foolish concept, to be sure, and apparently irresistible to the human spirit. My favorite definition of heaven comes from a Benedictine sister, who told me that as her mother lay dying in a hospital bed she had ventured to reassure her by saying, "In heaven, everyone we love is there." The older woman had replied, "No, in heaven I will love everyone who's there."

The utter democracy of the heavenly feast, the banquet to which anyone may come and be fed, has long appealed to me. I have often had dreams of being lost, without identification or money, and suddenly entering the strange, delicious world invoked by Isaiah 55: "Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you that have no money come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price." (Isa. 55:1)




Some of you have heard me go on and on about the banquet...the feast of victory...that is the end and the beginning. I must admit that Norris' story of the old woman in the hospital bed will stay with me as a new way to speak about the promise and the life that is eternally ours. "In heaven I will love everyone who's there." That makes the end an open adventure. It is not a closed and restricted setting that is operated around who I love. It is a vision of all that our God would invite to be among the beloved who...love. Notice the very strong and emphatic way she corrects her daughter. "I will love everyone..." No, "I hope I will," or I will have an opportunity to love those who love me forever and ever." Simply, "I will love everyone who's there." Honestly, that is beyond my comprehension. And yet, it is within the realm of the promise. Beyond me and you...beyond what we want and what we think should be...is that great and glorious day...so...so great. It is no wonder the only response to such a vision is: Alleluia.



Connection: Imagine walking through your day as though the understanding behind all we do is that we will love everyone who's there. Wow.



Lord of the beginning and the end of all things, how wonderful is the promise you have made to us. Such promises carry us through the day and carry us into the day longing for your word to be made into life among us. Come, Lord Jesus, Come. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment