Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Wednesday, 23 June, 2004

Text:Galatians 1:11-12



For I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.




Each time I read these verses I think of Martin Luther's words as he begins his explanation of the third article of the Apostles' Creed that deal with the Holy Spirit. "I believe that by my own understanding or strength I cannot believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to him." Paul's words here are the ones that back up the harsh words from v.9 (let that one be accursed) when he was talking about the "other gospel" that some are teaching (again - not that there is another gospel!). When you tie these words of Paul with words of Luther and than add the biblical words that speak of the Spirit - "blowing where it will" - who knows who will be and who is being blown away by the gospel of grace!!! In a day in the church when we are bitterly fighting over who can be a "full Member" of the body of Christ, isn't it odd that we want to dictate how the wind blows!?! I've started reading From None til Three by Robert Farrar Capon, and I already can tell he is going to help to stretch the meaning of grace so that it will challenge me to again see the root behind Paul's insistence on this Good News of God's Grace that still sets us off. If you are anything like me...and I think it is quite human...then you must know we all have limits and we want things to be somewhat conditional. We have job evaluations, we have grades in school, we have codes and expectations that must be followed...there are all sorts of ways our lives are run by conditions within our world. Not so with the Gospel...it is not of us. It is beyond our abilities to speak of it and to live as though it is our foundation. Paul is simply making that clear...right from the start. For we may never really believe what he is going to say about the Reign of God made know in Jesus.



Connection: We are a people called to be a word to the world that the world cannot hear on its own. When we are called to be a word...it means fully a word - life word...actions...speaking. Sometimes we think that must be in words alone. What if this day your trust in the Word of Grace that we find in Jesus is made known by action or even words that do not mention any kind of religious language? What if this kind of language comes after the witness of life has demonstrated the power of God's unconditional Reign.!



God of Grace, let you glory shine in our lives. Remind us that your love is radical - it is not and has never been the "way to be" in our everyday world...and yet it is the power of your blessed presence. Grant that we might walk in that presence. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment