Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Wednesday, 30 June, 2004

Text: Galatians 2: 15-21



We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law. But if, in our effort to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have been found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! But if I build up again the very things that I once tore down, then I demonstrate that I am a transgressor. For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.



"If the law is in effect, the death of Christ is futile. If the death of Christ is significant and powerful, then the law can no longer have force." We say that the death of Christ is significant and powerful. We say that it is our life. (I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me) Wonderful words and yet, as church...as people who call ourselves the body of Christ alive in the world today...we easily slip in the works of law as though that is what is finally necessary to be considered one of the "saved." I would suggest that when we let ourselves fall for the old-age line that keeps on insisting on seeing some evidence of "getting it right" or "doing it right" in word & attitudes like, "Yeh, but it can be free...what if they don't change their ways," we are literally a people working to save people -- from Jesus!!! We are saving people from being outright and completely free and justified (period). Why are we in such a horrible mess in regard to welcoming all people into the church!?! We would rather have something less than the complete domain of the Crucified Jesus as our home. Therefore, we will continue to hang onto any and every little sliver of scripture that will let us ignore the all encompassing word of justification. Are we saying Christ has died for the world...for all or are we hesistant to lift high that banner? When we hesistate, we in our hesitation and silence bring back into our lives - the law and all of its ways of accusing. Therefore, we are proclaiming to the world in word and actions that - Christ died for nothing. Personally, I don't by that. For all...or for none. Remember this, our actions may appear to nullify the grace of God within our witness to the world but the Grace of God is something that can never be nullified - the resurrection is the boldest witness to that new age and the banquet feast set for all God's children.



Connection: Christ died for everyone you will encounter this day - no exceptions. O my, what a way to look at the world. I know that I am not able to completely let that guide my heart. We need each other to be a word of remembrance and then always a word of forgiveness and new life. Nothing nullifies God's Grace...nothing. What a gift to remember today.



Loving & forgiving God, we can only stand at the beginning of this day and give you thanks. We will stumble today. We will fall. We will judge the world around us. We will boast and brag and condemn and hate. We will love and care. We will honor and give freely of ourselves and our possessions. We will walk humbly and exercise compassion. But we know that in all that takes place this day - it is by your word of promise that we are your beloved - that alone sets us free to live again and again praising you as we reach into this day you have given to us. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment