Monday, November 1, 2004

Monday, 1 November, 2004

Today's devotion is written by Redeemer member Katie Kent.



… whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31



When I was in college I participated in a Christian fellowship group. We would meet once a week to sing praise songs have a Bible study. Sometimes we'd have a speaker come in. It was at one of these meetings that I heard this story.



An old woman had a job cleaning toilets for a big corporation. She always was singing or whistling while she cleaned. Every day she would clean the toilets and no one paid her any attention. Finally, one day a scowling executive asked the old woman why she was always in such a good mood. Surely, the executive said, she could not enjoy cleaning toilets. It is such dirty work, and it is never ending. Didn't she ever get tired of doing the same thing every day? The old woman smiled as she explained, "I don't pretend to be a smart woman. I never graduated from school. I can't sing, or paint a picture. I don't have any special talents that I can think of. But, I do a pretty good job at cleaning toilets. And so, every day I do my best and I clean my toilets to the glory of God."



I have no idea if this story is based on an actual conversation that happened in a corporate bathroom somewhere. But does it matter? I'm sure there are lots of people just like the old woman. They are hard-working, honest people that get taken for granted or are overlooked. However, I know that God never takes them for granted. And I'm sure that whatever they do to glorify His name will be acceptable to Him.



Connection: I find this story incredibly humbling. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in having the best job, best car etc. But the scripture tells us to do EVERYTHING to the glory of God. If we let this dictate our daily decisions, then we can truly say that we live our lives to the glory of God. I can't think of a better way to live than that!



Dear Jesus, thank you for our varied skills and talents. We pray that we can find new ways to give glory to your name each and every day. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment