Thursday, October 28, 2004

Friday, 29 October, 2004

This week's devotions are written by Redeemer member Katie Kent.



When life gives you lemons……..



I assume we can all finish this phrase. Optimists love to share it with you when you're having a rough way to go. I confess that most of the time I like to see the glass as half full too. However, the lemon into lemonade thing really gets on my nerves. It's so cliché. I favor a different approach.



When life gives you manure…… you make fertilizer.



Yes, I know it is a little gross. But let's face it- when you're having a really bad day you don't want to think about citrus fruit. Lemons by themselves are not inherently bad. They smell nice, they look nice, and they have a multitude of uses. Manure on the other hand… well let's just say I don't think we'll be seeing a manure scented dish soap any time soon.



Connection: God created this universe. He knows everything about everything. He knows that bad things happen, and that sometimes it seems everywhere we step there's another pile of unpleasantness waiting for us. But the key is to remember everything happens as part of a bigger picture. Think back to your biology classes. One thing's waste is an integral part of another thing's livelihood.



The same theory applies in our lives. I have seen it in my own. I found myself in an absolutely horrible situation, and at the time I could not possibly imagine that anything good could come of it. Yet God has a plan, and with time all is revealed. Looking back, I can see how he used my unfortunate set of circumstances to enable me to help others with similar problems. So if you find yourself going through hard times… just remember the more fertilizer you have now, the bigger and more beautiful your garden will be later.



For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Jeremiah 29:11



Dearest Lord, we ask for strength and comfort during our difficult times. Help us to always remember you have a plan. Give us patience as we wait to see the glorious garden our hardships will produce. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment