Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Thursday, 7 October, 2004

This week's devotions are written by Redeemer member Judith Bird.



Today we will explore the eighth indicator of faith maturity according to "Exploring Faith Maturity" which deals with acting and serving.



Using the following scale, score yourself on the following five statements:

1 = Never true

2 = Rarely true

3 = True once in a while

4 = Sometimes true

5 = Often true

6 = Almost always true

7 = Always true



___ I do things to help protect the environment.

___ I go out of my way to show love to people I meet.

___ In my free time, I help people who have problems or needs.

___ I am active in efforts to promote social justice.

___ I am active in efforts to promote world peace.



Add your scores and divide by five. If your average is higher than five, this dimension of faith is well-developed.



According to the authors, acting and serving involves rolling up your sleeves and helping people without expecting anything in return. It is in Matthew 25:31-46 where Jesus talks about feeding the hungry, welcoming the stranger, caring for the sick and visiting those in prison. "'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.'"



Connection: Where might you see Jesus today? What can you do to help?



Prayer: O Lord, send me forth to lovingly and courageously carry out your purposes among the people I meet along the way. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment