Thursday, October 21, 2004

Friday, 22 October, 2004

This week's devotions are written by Vicar Steve Bond.



And now, the last installment drawing from Marva Dawn's Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God…



Prayer is the root of all our faithfulness. In the weakness of prayer, God visits-and stays.



I have been wrestling, especially over the last six months, with why we bother to pray, and particularly why we bother to ask for things in prayer. The recurring arguments go something like this: if God already knows everything, including what I and others need, why do I need to pray for those needs? For that matter, if God is so good and gracious, will God not do something unless I poke and prod with petitions and prayers? I still think these are valid questions, and I have come up with no satisfying answers (although I am increasingly wary of any theological question that starts with "if God is _________, then…" rather than "since God…").



That said, I continue to pray, without having come close to understanding why or how it works. The questions don't stop me from praying, any more than my ignorance of human biology keeps me from breathing or my lack of knowledge of psychology keeps me from talking honestly with people whom I trust and love. My logic tells me that it is inefficient and redundant to pray; in some ways, it surely is. But it is simply a part of who I am-and even more a part of who God is-that I, that we, should be led to pray. There is something wonderfully humbling about praying without understanding the inner workings of doing it. And it is wonderfully humbling to be led in prayer to let God show me myself honestly-weaknesses, warts, and all. It is all I can do-it is all any of us can do-to lift up these fragile, empty hands trusting that they will be held by God's.



Connection: Today, find a moment to pray in the freedom of humility. Be honest about who you are, and let yourself be held-simply be held-by God.



Lord, take us as we are, speak your love to us again, and make us to hear it amidst the sound of all our questions. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment