Sunday, October 3, 2004

Monday, 4 October, 2004

This week's devotions are written by Redeemer member Judith Bird.



Last week we began exploring questions about what faith is and how it is demonstrated in everyday life using "Exploring Faith Maturity: A Self-Study Guide," by Eugene Roehlkepartain and Dorothy Williams and published by Lutheran Brotherhood (now Thrivent). We got through four of the nine dimensions of the Christian faith that the book lays out in its "self assessment." Today, we pick up with up with the fifth "indicator" which the authors term "experiencing the fruits of faith."



Using the following scale, score yourself on the following five statements:

1 = Never true

2 = Rarely true

3 = True once in a while

4 = Sometimes true

5 = Often true

6 = Almost always true

7 = Always true



___ My life is filled with meaning and purpose.

___ I don't have a hard time accepting myself.

___ I do not feel overwhelmed by all my responsibilities and obligations.

___ I am confident that I can overcome any problem or crisis, no matter how serious.

___ My life is not filled with stress and anxiety.



Add your scores and divide by five. If your average is higher than five, this dimension of faith is well-developed.



There is an amazing freedom that happens once you understand that you are a child of God - accepted, loved and saved. Psalm 23 talks about what that is like.



Connection: What difference does that freedom make in your actions?



Prayer:

Lord,

Make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;

Where there is injury, pardon;

Where there is doubt, faith;

Where there is despair, hope;

Where there is darkness, light;

Where there is sadness, joy.

-- Francis of Assisi



No comments:

Post a Comment