Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Wednesday, 6 October, 2004

This week's devotions are written by Redeemer member Judith Bird.



According to "Exploring Faith Maturity," the seventh indicator of faith maturity deals with advocating social change.



Using the following scale, score yourself on the following four statements:

1 = Never true

2 = Rarely true

3 = True once in a while

4 = Sometimes true

5 = Often true

6 = Almost always true

7 = Always true



___ I care a great deal about reducing poverty in the United States and throughout the world.

___ I am concerned that our country is not doing enough to help the poor.

___ I think Christians must be about the business of creating international understanding and harmony.

___ I want the churches of this nation to get involved in political issues.



Add your scores and divide by four. If your average is higher than five, this dimension of faith is well-developed.



In Luke 4:18-19, Jesus kicked off his ministry reading the following from Isaiah:

The Spirit of the Lord is on me,

because he has anointed me

to preach good news to the poor.

He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners

and recovery of sight for the blind,

to release the oppressed,

to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.




Connection: How would that charge be worded for today's world?



Prayer: O Lord, help me to do justice, to love kindness and to walk humbly with you. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment