Monday, July 18, 2005

18 July 2005

Today will be a last look at food offered to idols - what does it have to do with community life, hospitality and simple care for one another.

"All things are lawful," but not all things are beneficial. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up. Do not seek your own advantage, but that of the other. Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience, for "the earth and its fullness are the Lord's." If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, out of consideration for the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience - I mean the other's conscience, not your own. For why should my liberty be subject to the judgment of someone else's conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why should I be denounced because of that for which I give thanks? (1 Corinthians 10:23-30)

There are two aspects that are important to consider as we attempt to make use of this passage that speaks of food offered to idols in an age and society that doesn't even raise this issue quite like it is raised here in 1 Corinthians. First, what could simply be an issue about what I do and what I want to do is put into a place within the community. Rather than running along with what "I believe," I am being invited to consider what "we believe." That simple move in pronouns changes the kinds of things I must consider as I think about "doing whatever I want to do." This does not mean that I cannot go ahead with what I think is absolutely solid (as is eating meat offered to idols - for there are no other gods). What is means is that I take into consideration with whom I am eating. I observe the context and enter a dialogue with those around me. This may mean that for some people is may be easy to jump out into the life I see as faithful and yet that jumping may not be something that other can tolerate - yet. This "yet" is the second point to consider in this passage. Realize that today...and not too long after the writing of the letter, eating food offered to idols was not an issue...neither was the issue of circumcision in the church...neither was dietary restrictions...and...and...and. The body grows and the body changes - in time. But without a caring dialogue that takes into consideration - even those who we cannot quite understand, we will not help one another grow as the faithful of new generations.

Connection: Caring and listening to others doesn't mean we simply give up our position. It means we care and listen. It is quite amazing what the Holy Spirit can and does do in the midst of such a community.

Breath on us, O God of Every Age, so that as we contemplate the life of the church today we will be lifted up to see a vision of the church of tomorrow and begin to talk to one another about how it is already breaking in among us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment