Tuesday, July 19, 2005

20 July 2005

Today we will continue with instructions for the community on being the community in 1 Corinthians.

Now in the following instructions I do not commend you, because when you come together it is not for the better but for the worse. For, to begin with, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you; and to some extent I believe it. Indeed, there have to be factions among you, for only so will it become clear who among you are genuine. (1 Cor. 11:17-19)
When you come together, it is not really to eat the Lord's supper. For when the time comes to eat, each of you goes ahead with your own supper, and one goes hungry and another becomes drunk. What! Do you not have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you show contempt for the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What should I say to you? Should I commend you? In this matter I do not commend you. (1 Cor. 11:20-22

Even today, many look at the Lord's Supper as an individual experience, a "God & I" kind of event. It is most definitely an event where our Lord is really present and each one of us is included without exception, but the meal is a community event. Let me put it this way. When I look out at the congregation and the bread has been put onto the table for the meal, I quickly make a note of how the bread must be distributed. This is particularly the case at our congregation during the summer when we have one liturgy instead of two. Sometimes I simply remind myself to make sure I so much bread left by the time I reach "this person." Other times I may send an acolyte out to our verger or an usher to bring in more bread as the meal is progressing. We gather for the meal and the we is essential. The whole must be taken into consideration in our planning and in our celebration. Obviously in Corinth there was also a dinner that was a part of the Lord's supper and at that dinner, some had too much, some had too little, and what really was the issue is that some didn't care about the whole community. Instead, if I'm taken care of...if my group is doing fine...then, that's fine. Well, that is not the body of Christ. So...why pretend to be that - especially when we are to be in the midst of sharing the body and blood of Christ among us.

Connection: There is much more to the Reign of God than me, myself and I...or my self-interests...or my likes and wants. It does us all well if we take an inventory of how we use our time and how often we let ourselves serve those beyond us as part of what we call a normal day.

Lord of Liberation and New Life, we are grateful for the many gifts you bestow upon us. Inspire us to use our gifts for the well-being of the whole community and the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment