Tuesday, July 26, 2005

27 July 2005

Chapter 12 of 1 Corinthians is a powerful comment about the life within a gifted community.

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. (1 Cor. 12:4-7)
To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are activated by one and the same Spirit, who allots to each one individually just as the Spirit chooses. (1 Cor. 12:8-11)

It is easy to get all caught up in the kinds of gifts listed here. What are they? What do they do? How do we understand them today? But rather than go at this lesson on gifts like that, let's just say that the Spirit brings to the body of Christ "gifts." Gifts, build community. Gifts are brought to the table by everyone. Sometimes we can't quite see what may be the gift of another person and so it takes still another person to be able to fill us in on the importance of the other person. What I cannot see may be seen quite clearly by another. Aha...varied gifts to build one people. Sometimes when I am teaching a class, I love it when someone asks a question or makes a statement and I think I heard it and responded appropriately only to be told by another person that s/he doesn't think I understood the question/comment that was made. Then, this third person restates the question in other words and...duh...I hear now that I didn't hear the comment and therefore gave a response but not on target. The gifts of other people help all of us learn, listen, speak, and live more fully in the community. It is vital for us to make sure that we name gifts so that we can honor them. I may not know what it is that you bring to the table - I may not have the "tag" to put on it. But I can know what it sounds like or what it is to have you bring it into the room...into a discussion...and I know I need to honor it as though we all need it to move to a new life...no matter how big or small the gift may be.

Connection: Some days, it can be really difficult to see any gifts in anyone else. Some days it can feel as though I am the only one who has a clue on what is real. Then...and always then...I need to stop and listen and watch and consider more seriously what others are offering to this day that is unfolding all around me. A day that looks bankrupt may be a day that is simply bursting with gifts.

Lord of the Community, your Spirit keep working and blowing and moving and nudging us from all angles of our lives so that we will breathe in the wonder of your creation. When we are short winded, let your Spirit blow around us and take us to a new place within this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment