Wednesday, October 19, 2005

20 October 2005

Today we continue with insights on Luther by Tuomo Mannerma in "Union With Christ."

Central to Luther's theology is that in faith the human being really participates by faith in the person of Christ and the divine life and the victory that is in it. Or to say it the other way around: Christ gives his person to the human being through faith by which we grasp it. "Faith involves participation in Christ, in whom there is no sin, death, or curse.
And, in Luther's point of view, faith is a victory precisely because it unites the believer with the person of Christ, who is in himself the victory. (p.32)

This needs days of unpacking so let me start and, if need be, we will bring it around again tomorrow as good way to end the week. More and more, I am caught up in that simple word "really." Without it, I find myself quite inadequately situated within the day at hand. That may only be because I have always seen myself as quite the coward and the only times I am able to be anything close to courageous is when I remember that I am not alone. Not only that. As a part of the Body of Christ I am invited - along with you - to walk within the presence of our Lord as though I am a part of that presence. There, in that kind of "participation," the Lord of Life both enfolds me and sends me. There is something mystical sounding in that image. I don't use that language often and yet in the first petition of the prayer in the Burial of the Dead we hear these words "...you have knit your chosen people together in one communion, in the mystical body of your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. We need not be afraid to let ourselves become a part of something beyond our grasp and our control.

Connection: Mystical images are not of another world. Rather, it is a way to be within the day we walk through even now. Maybe it involves taking another look, a new look, an upside down look, and even a look with Christ in mind...as our mind. It may be worth some consideration in the midst of things today.

Lift us, O Lord, for we long to be held by you and sent by you and picked up by you when we do what we do so well...stumble and fall. Praise to you, O Lord. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment