Sunday, February 18, 2007

Monday 19 February 2007

We continue again this week with Psalm 139 . . .

(17) How weighty to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! (18) I try to count them - they are more than the sand; I come to the end - I am still with you.

God does a lot of things that we don't understand, and God does a lot of them in ways we don't expect. Who would have ever thought the best way to make people free would be to have our creator become like the created and die? God doesn't always work in the way we think God should, and it is probably for the best. However, saying that we simply don't understand shouldn't be a convenient answer for why bad things happen. True, we don't understand all the bad things that happen or their sources, but we do know that God's thoughts are more numerous than the grains of sand along the oceans. With so many weighty and wondrous thoughts, we can be sure that God must have some great ways of helping us deal with all the bad stuff that for whatever reason comes our way.

Connection: Think or a time or a number of times when you believe that God exceeded your expectations. How did you think it should work out at the time?

Prayer: God . . . Wow. You created this world from chaos, you created me, and you even became human and died so that I might live more fully. I don't understand it all or why you'd do it for me, but thank you. I'm sure there are many things that I don't really understand, and I don't expect you to make it so I can understand them. So, I ask that you just help me to trust you and your love. Thank you so much. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment