Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Wednesday 14 February 2007

We continue today with our journey through Psalm 139.

(7) Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? (8) If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. (9) If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, (10) even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast.

Where can we go that God wouldn't be? Clearly the psalm says there isn't such a place. I find it reassuring to know that God is with us wherever we each find ourselves in life. Sometimes we become full of ourselves and feel that we don't need God, that we need to get away from the limits and burdens we convince ourselves God puts on us. Yet even when we believe we can go it alone, God is with us, waiting eagerly to lead us. At other times we can feel so cynical and alone that we begin to believe there is no good in this world and there is no God in our lives. Nonetheless, even when we feel overwhelmed by the things we can't control, God is there. God's power transcends time and space; God's love transcends the complexities of our lives.

Connection: Think about the time when you felt most distant from other people, from the world, and even from yourself. Where God was in the midst of it?

Transcendent God, abide with me. Whenever I flee your presence, stay with me until I'm able to follow you again and stay with you. Wherever I go, transform that place into your heavenly kingdom, that I might be surrounded by your love and feel it as surely as if your hand holds me fast. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment