Monday, February 5, 2007

Tuesday 6 February 2007

Again we move on through the third chapter of Colossians.

As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, (3:12) Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you must forgive. (3:13)

This is getting tough. Forgiveness means we are a part of a new reality. And yet, I know too many cases when I will not venture into the "land of forgiveness." I can come up with any number of reasons why I will not go in that "land" with some people. Unfortunately, it is always nothing more than a good excuse to make me feel good about what I have or have not done - why I stay out of the fullness of the life within the realm of forgiveness. If this forgiveness was like forgiveness as I know it, then it can be limited and divided into categories based on how much forgiveness is enough to offer to this person or that one. In this text for today, the qualifier about forgiving each other is the manner in which the Lord has forgiven me.....ahhhhhhhhhh! To be quite frank, I won't go there. I cannot let myself go to such a loving length to forgive and begin the day as though the offense that leads into a need for forgiveness is gone. Wow! I don't know about you, but I have a bag full of these offenses. I also know that I let them limit my life with some people. Therefore, I persist in my separation from some folks. Having said that, I have just defined sin - separation from one another. I'm in the middle of it...sometimes I'm just fine with it...sometimes I know it is a crushing blow to me and you. But rather than forgive and dwell in the strange beauty of forgiveness and the life that comes when the separated are united, I...hold back. What's that all about!?! Am I afraid of what could become of a relationship? Am I afraid of the vulnerability that is demanded of those who forgive? Am I so protective of the controls I want in my life that forgiveness seems to threaten to tip me and the controls on our heads? Yes...probably all this and more. And yet...we are told that forgiveness is a part of the "holy and beloved" people. Finally, it must be pointed out that within the community of God's people, the vulnerability and risk of living within the domain of forgiveness must be a part of each of our lives - it is not just me who forgives....we forgive. Within that sense of community, forgiveness really is a shared adventure.

Connection: A question to bring into this day may simply be: how can we help each other live within this "land of forgiveness" as we move along the way. How do we help one another be courageous and bold within the presence of our Lord's gift of new life?

How precious is the forgiveness that is showered upon us, O God. When there is nothing else we can see within our lives and we have stumbled more than we can bear, we are lifted up by your grace and you begin again to shape us a people born again into the land of your promises for new life. Thank you for the daily reminders of your love and the power to be refreshed and renewed. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment