Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thursday 20 September 2007

Again, here are some thoughts on faith and what happens within that domain - by Tuomo Mannerma.


Faith communicates the divine attributes to the human being because Christ himself, who is a divine person, is present in faith. Therefore, the believer is given all the "good" (bona) of God in faith. It is easy to see that in Luther's theology the concept of justifying faith and the idea of the indwelling of Christ in faith cannot be separated...

It is precisely the Christ present in justifying faith who communicates God's saving attributes to the believer in the "happy exchange." God is righteous, and in faith the human being participates in righteousness; God is joy, and in faith the human being participates in joy. God is life, and in faith the human being participates in life; God is power, and in faith the human being participates in power, and so forth.


Maybe it is just the week that is at hand for me...but I find the use of these "being" verbs - that both give us a picture of God and, in that, a picture of each of us - to be a word of encouragement. I am wrapped up in what is so foundational to all of life. It is simply that way. Just as God is so am I. I may not "feel" that - but I am told it is the truth. Thank God this is not all left up to feelings or the evidence of the day. My emotions can swing like an uncontrollable pendulum that attempts to make me think that truth is known through how I feel. And yet, I know that is nuts. On the other hand, my mind often wants me to trust nothing but what I am able to touch and see. Today it hits me that seeing and feeling is not believing. The proclamation of what God is we are to trust. The word given already...from the beginning of all time and right on through the end. It does not change...it is not swayed by influences of my life. It is what we each are invited to be.


Connection: Some days can be quite heavy and out of control and down right frightening. If today begins to be like that for you, remember the still, small voice of our God who is available for us and with us and in us.


Lord of All Time, you carry us around through this day by announcing your eternal presence. From there, we begin to move and see and hear all things in a new way. As we spin about in the stew of life, continue to be in the mix of all things and be our foundation for life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment