Sunday, September 23, 2007

Tuesday 25 September 2007

More from "the law belongs to the world."


The law cannot create this kind of "strong and powerful" life, nor does it make a human being a new creation. Only faith, that is, Christ alone, can give birth to a new human being.


There are always longs lists of things to do. We have all been raised up in the Church with such lists. Luther reminds us that it is all foolishness - even idolatry. Nothing brings us closer to God just as nothing can separate us from the love of God. It is God who acts and brings about this "birth to a new human being." I know I use the image of being pulled into the Reign of God quite a bit. I use it because I know a bit of me...and that bit that I know is not going to go along with the love of God that is the power to transform life and bring me into a life that I cannot even imagine at this time. I count on the Christ to take hold of me...mold me...be me...and that is not anything I can plan to do on my own. For when I do the planning, it becomes so "me" focused, I'm simply trying to work my way into a life that is already handed to me - for free.


Connection: Don't ignore the pulling that is taking place today. It is real. It does become us. It will be a gift to us and then, also, to those around us.


Come, Lord of Life, take hold of us and when you pull, encourage us to follow and be shaped by your welcome. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment