Thursday, February 7, 2008

Wednesday 13 February 2008

I love the image offered here.



The "fabric" of society is not finished. It is always "in becoming." It is on the loom, and it is made up of constantly changing relationships. Non-violence takes account precisely of this dynamic and non-final state of all relationships among people, for non-violence seeks to change relationships that are evil into others that are good, or at least less bad.



So it is with our lives...on the loom. This takes me back to the Quaker hymn I so often quote and even sing to myself when I need to review what I must be doing. "To bow and to bend we shall not be ashamed...to turn, turn, will be our delight and by turning, turning, we come down right." And yet, we are always turning...always having another thread moving in and through and under the weaving of our life together. In the middle of all this movement, comes the possibility of enemy becoming friend and disharmony become harmonious....and, evil (in them and us)....becoming less evil.



Connection: It is always a risk to turn and be a part of the unfinished and the "becoming." I know I often fear what the turning will bring...will I be able and willing to turn again if needed?



Precious Lord, when you set the cosmos spinning, your creativity was set in motion for even now, it is in our spinning around that we are introduced to more and more of your creative adventure. Though it is so easy to stop spinning and turning and settle only for what we would want in life, your Spirit is always inviting us beyond ourselves and into the mix of others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment