Saturday, February 23, 2008

Wednesday 27 February 2008

Thomas Merton now offers a reflection on evil.



One can overcome evil by taking it upon oneself, whereas if one flies from it he is not certain to escape and may, even if he seems to escape, be overwhelmed. The only way truly to "overcome" an enemy is to help him become other than an enemy. This is the kind of wisdom we find in Gandhi. It is the wisdom of the Gospels.



I suppose we could argue that running from evil is like becoming a part of it. We are not overcome by it directly...but its power continues to grow as we leave the space. I always have to keep reminding myself of that strange situation. I've always seen myself as quite the coward. And yet, when I stay close to the words of the Good News of the Reign of God, I often find the encouragement to move forward to face situations rather than turn and run from them...as I would like. It doesn't always happen. In fact, I would say it usually doesn't. Again, that is why I find it so important for us to be vulnerable with each other within the church so that we are able to face the evil within us and rally the hopefulness that brings us into acts of bold faith. We are invited to be courageous...to be just who we are in God's eyes. That is quite a powerful place to be when we are afraid to face evil with a life of peace.



Connection: How can we help each other stay put within the life of the Reign of God when there are so many powers that bid us to come and follow them? Prayer - yes. Community - yes. Conversation of all types - yes.



Be for us the word of life that helps us to see the creativity of your Reign, O God. For without such vision, we are too easily persuaded to follow only the life that is going on all around us. We long for the life you create since the beginning of all things. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment