Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday 4 August 2008

Today we will continue with Thomas Merton on war and fear. As you will see, this piece is dated to a specific time in 20th century world dynamics. And yet, it doesn't take much at all to make the jump into today.

When I pray for peace I pray God to pacify not only the Russians and the Chinese but above all my own nation and myself. When I pray for peace I pray to be protected not only from the Reds but also from the folly and blindness of my own country. When I pray for peace, I pray not only that the enemies of my country may cease to want war, but above all that my own country will cease to do the things that make war inevitable. In other words, when I pray for peace I am not just praying that the Russians will give up without struggle and let us have our own way, I am praying that both we and the Russians may somehow be restored to sanity and learn how to work out our problems, as best we can, together, instead of preparing for global suicide.

I told you it was dated. Then again, we need only change the names and we are right in the middle of his point about prayer when threats of war are manipulating and directing our lives. What comes from such prayers is not magic. Rather, what comes from such prayers is action....our action. Remember we become a part of the prayers we utter. Therefore, when we pray that we may become open to new ways of working toward peace, we really make those ways a part of our personal lives and press those ways with the people who are in positions to bring the way of peace to voice on the levels of the most influential. I even have to say that our prayers may encourage some of us to step up and work to move into positions of more influence. I think it was Michael Moore who encourages ordinary folks to run for the most basic positions in political parties so as to begin to bring new ideas into old and stiff systems. People who long for peace would do well to listen. Another example is that of the Christian Right. We may see them praying quite a bit...but...have you noticed how they are also acting out their prayer in ways that give greater voice to some of the "issues" of concern. It is no accident that over 100 White House lawyers come from Jerry Falwell's Regent Law School...even before it became accredited.

Connection: Our prayers are meant to shape the whole world...that includes us. How are you asking God to shape you?

Make us the instruments of your peace, O God. Turn our words of peace into reminders of the life that comes into being from the words we speak when we turn to you for new life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment