Saturday, December 11, 2004

13 December 2004

Yes, again with devotions based on William Sloan Coffin's "A Passion for the Possible"



In one of ast week's devotions, Coffin mentioned Michelangelo's Last Judgment and the notion that hell is truth seen too late. (He uses it again as a base from which he begins a discussion on war)

The primary reason for such blindness is that there is a basic unacceptablity about unpleasant truth. We shield ourselves from its wounding accuracy. and if this is so of individuals, it's even truer of nations. Recall the biblical priest Amaziah and how, 2,700 years ago, he said of Amos the prophet, "The land is not able to bear all his words."

Amaziah was no fool. He knew that none love you for being the enemy of their illusions. He knew that most people wanted peace at any price, as long as the peace is theirs and someone else pays the price.



In our bathroom, we have four light bulbs on either side of a mirror that is less than three feet wide. In other words, when I look at myself in the mirror, everything shows. I trimmed my beard to a very low setting when I went away for a portion of my sabbatical. Right away, I saw my age more than ever before. I now trim my beard to where I kept it previously...but I know what is under that beard - signs of age. Unpleasant truth is truth we don't often want to hear because it means change must come...or change has already happened and we need to deal with it - now. I live according to some illusions about myself and about you. You may suffer from the same reality. To have light shine on those illusions can become hard to face. Everyone would love to be known as kind and loving and accepting...but the truth is we stumble and fall and take part in the brokenness we would like to see conquered. To grow and to be able to grow with a community of people, that truth...that light...can be a great gift - necessary but still painful. But to keep myself and the communities I live in...just as I want them to be...often means I will not face the truth and I will even fabricate my world so that it can stay untouched by what I would call the bright light of God's Reign. Darkness can be so comforting to our own illusions.



Connection: We all can use a bit of that light in our lives. What helps to bring that light of God's Reign into you day...and...who around you helps you to face it and not run away?



Shine on us, O Light of Hope and New Life, for by your grace we need not fear the truth and we can celebrate what may now be awaiting us as we step within the great light of your Reign. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment