Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wednesday, 27 September, 2006

Text: James 2:1-7

My brothers and sisters, do you with your acts of favoritism really believe in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ? For if a person with gold rings and in fine clothes comes into your assembly, and if a poor person in dirty clothes also comes in, and if you take notice of the one wearing the fine clothes and say, "Have a seat here, please," while to the one who is poor you say, "Stand there," or "Sit at my feet," have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts? LIsten, my beloved brothers and sisters. Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who oppress you? Is it not they who drag you into court? Is it not they who blaspheme the excellent name that was invoked over you?


One commentator who wrote about he several texts from James that have been read during the past month in worship made an interesting comment. She wrote that we did not include texts like this one. We did not touch the texts that had to do with a sharp and critical word to the rich. Too close to home! I know I was just caught by it in the typing out of the text. I think of people who come on Sunday morning in order to be given some money - for whatever. Sometimes I know that they are at times scamming - I know that because I've seen them before and know their stories and the stories they have told other pastors around town. But then, I just realized that that need not matter. Rather than tell them to come back later or the next day, I need to invited them into worship just as I would invite someone who comes through the doors looking like me and wanting to worship. Once again, it is important to remember the personal character that is given to us as daughters and sons of God - and open our lives and hearts so that we do not show the partiality that often builds walls between us. It is interesting how money and the mere show of wealth can seduce us to act contrary of the Reign of God.


Connection: Just watch how we act. Take note of partiality...take note of how our biases can be lessened and we can encounter the people around us with new eyes.


Blessed Lord of both the great and the small, how wonderful is your love and your gift of life to each of us. Lead us into the ways of hopefulness and mercy and kindness. AMEN


No comments:

Post a Comment