Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Redeemer Devotions - September 13, 2011

Adventures... in Hope - Redeemer Devotions 

SD-13: After today, there will be a break in these reflections. I will be away and may not have access to the Internet.

 

Once again, I find that I need someone who can bring all of this into the present. I must hear it out of the context of wars in Saudi Arabia in the time of the Prophet. I must hear something other than what to do about the ones who do not follow the path. Who are they - What makes them less than the faithful - Is it the patterns within their day - Is it the appearance of being 'obedient' in a manner that is ritually correct? Then again, I know that there will be words of being merciful to others. I have simply found that such mercy is contained for those who are faithful or those who have fallen and need to have some aid. I am quite confounded. Maybe a break will be good. Maybe if I read a larger section of the Qur'an I will be able to taste what is so delicious to Muslims. In this sura on Repentance we hear this about believers who: "are those who turn to God in repentance; who worship and praise Him; who fast, bow down and prostrate themselves; who order what is good, forbid what is wrong and observe God's limits. Give glad news to such believers." 

And yet, even here there is not much to go on. Is the daily rituals? It also sounds like it is the ability to know what is good and what is wrong. I would expect that it is not merely knowing this but living in this way. What I would like would be more about that 'way.' It does not have to be a list of do this and don't do that. It can be in parabolic form. When Jesus uses  parables, they are often the Word that cuts to the chase and turns the world upside down so that the Way really opens up and - at times - seems a bit ridiculous. Such parables often place upon the listener a compelling urge to turn around - repent - grab hold of a new way. Maybe this is also what I will hear in these words from the Qur'an. I'm not sure.

 

Connection: What happens when we do not have to 'defend' the faith. Does it come to an end. No. We are taught that all the powers of the cosmos cannot put an end to the grace and mercy of God. And yet, we too often try to convince ourselves that we are the protectors of the 'faith' - I think we have something mixed up.

 

Blessed are you, God of Mercy, we count on you to pull us up and help us to stand within the grace and mercy of your Reign. For there in that place - we enter into a freedom that is eternally available and a gift that cannot be taken from us.  Amen.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment