Sunday, September 4, 2011

Redeemer Devotions - September 4, 2011

Adventures... in Hope - Redeemer Devotions 

SD-4:  The 3rd sura in the Qur'an is also long and carries a boatload of stuff. I do not think I can even try to unpack it all - it would take days to comment on all the things I both like and dislike. So I will once again go with what strikes me. Again, this comes as one who has no understanding of the Qur'an

 

Let me begin with the simple interpretation of the word Islam - complete devotion to God. This is what read in the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures. Nothing new here. But as I would say even if I did not read the Qur'an - this is not an easy path within our world. There are so many ways to walk away from God's love and the life that this love hands to us in each of our days. In doing a very little reading about the historical context of the life of the Prophet, it was, as noted on a previous day, a tribal society that was lead by clans and families. That could be really good for you -or it could be very bad for you. (I refer you to the adventures of Kirsi Ali as she writes of her travails of leaving the present day life of a clans in Somalia and her adventure that has led her to the U.S.) Something had to change. This kind of life was one of warfare and division. Islam was a wonderful gift to such a times and people. In this sura there is an attempt to tie Islam to the other People of the Book. Therefore we hear of Abraham, Mary, John, Jesus. So far, what I can distill is that if you are a faithful follower of the God of the Jews and the Christians - you are blessed. The completed devotion to God is what is sought. Soren Kirkegaard would say it is the "will one thing."
If we were able to see this simple connection between the 'faiths' wouldn't we all be doing better than we are. But - we then get into the language of damnation - fire - rejection - purity. It is here that we stumble. Here is where we become more caught up on a route to 'being right' rather than a journey where love rules.
Tomorrow I want to deal a bit with some of the harsh language of condemnation - to some degree.
 
Connection: Devotion to God always pulls us away from that powerful self-centeredness that Luther called "turned-in-on-self." For we then lift up our eyes an ears to hear something other than our own voices, wants, greeds, and even needs that can overwhelm us. In my faithful imagination I can see a day when these three faiths that are mentioned in this sura are able to -as I will always sing it - 'bow and bend' until we become the word that we each claim comes from our God. It is my bet that our bending and bowing will not be extreme - only necessary.

 

Blessed are you, God of Mercy, continue to turn our eyes and ears to you way. Amen.

 

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment