Tuesday, October 10, 2006

12 October 2006

This is the final day to look at part three of Bonhoeffer's reflections on a parable.

Then they went on to another village. As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." and Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, " Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for your, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home." Jesus said to him, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God" (Luke 9:57-62).
The third one called, like the first, understands discipleship as an offer made only by him, as his own self-chosen program for life. But in contrast to the first, he thinks he is justified in setting his own conditions... He wants to follow, but he wants to set his own conditions for following.

Noted in a footnote, it says in Bonhoeffer's book Creation and Fall, "the expression 'Let me first...,' is used to characterize a potential disciple's fleeing into mere possibility of following Jesus." This possibility of doing something first makes the reality of following not a reality. For first, there are conditions. What will that say about later...will there be more conditions. Also, we must consider that the call to follow is the only reality within the Reign of God. If there are to be prerequisites then how do we come around to the way of following Jesus. How many conditions will be put on us before we follow? In this third disciple there is voice I hear in myself when I know the way to go and yet I come up with one, or two, or a whole basket full of things that must be done first. When these are met...when I am in the right place....when the conditions are fitting...then I will follow. Unfortunately, conditions keep us from catching the train or the chariot or taking up our cross. I find this whole parable a hard saying when I allow myself to hear me in each of the roles and speaking from my own predicament and in my own voice.

Connection: What agenda today is standing in the way of being a part of that gracious Reign that bids us to come and live?

We are a people who hesitate and want to control the way in which we move through our lives. By the power of your Holy Spirit, O God, stir up our hearts that we will act and move and face what is promised when we do leave all things to follow you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment